Friday, March 21, 2014

Flashback Friday #25 - Swan House / Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Hello friends! Today I want to talk a little bit about my former home town, Atlanta, GA. I lived there during the core of my childhood years and I have several great memories from time spent at Braves baseball games, splashing around in the ring pop fountain in Centennial Olympic Park, eating chicken wings at the Raccoon Lodge, and especially building imaginary worlds with my sister in our own backyard. One of the great things about Atlanta is that it has a great collection of both old and new architecture. One of the prime examples of historic architecture is the Swan House. It was originally built in 1928 by Edward and Emily Inman who occupied the house all the way till 1965. The house and grounds were then acquired by the Atlanta Historical Society in 1966. It is maintained and kept open today as a 1920's and 1930's historic house museum, with many of the Inman's original furniture. The Swan House has also been recently featured in modern day pop culture. It served as the finish line for the 19th season of The Amazing Race in 2011, and in 2013 it was featured in the Blockbuster smash hit The Hunger Games: Catching Fire as President Snow's personal palace (see above photo I took in 2010 vs. scene from Catching Fire). It is so fun to be watching something like The Amazing Race or especially The Hunger Games (because I saw it in IMAX) and suddenly see something you instantly recognize! I almost shouted out loud in the theater when watching Catching Fire I was so excited. Keep it REAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment