Friday, April 19, 2013

Flashback Friday #16 - Comic Books

I have been in Lake Helen, FL for the past few days, but I felt I could still get a blog post out this week. The Flashback part of this Friday has to do with Comic Books! Some of you may know that over the past couple of years I have begun to inherit a large comic book collection. The books I have received have been all across the map and have been as old as 1960's/1970's and as new as 2013. Sometimes I even get the books on my doorstep before they are in stores (or just after)! It all started in 2007 when I befriended one of my dorm neighbors freshman year at college. Her name was Lauren and little did I know at the time but her father Bruno was an avid collector of comic books and had been collecting for many years. One day Bruno asked his daughter if there was anyone of her friends at school who might want some comic books. This seemed like a great idea since she went to an art school and quite a few people there were actually studying comic book art (sequential art). So she gave him some names and found some addresses and he sent out a few boxes of comics. A little while later Lauren decided to put my name in the mix and I received a box one summer day in 2008. I had no idea it was coming and I had no idea what to expect when I opened it, but inside were about 50 books! I quickly sat down and wrote Bruno a note thanking him for the great and unexpected gift I had just had the pleasure of opening. Very soon after that I started to receive box after box after box of comic books for it seemed no one else had taken the time to write Bruno back about the books. To me it was the only natural way of accepting the books and by doing so I must have cemented my place as main comic book recipient. Over the next few years I amassed a huge collection of books that I have greatly enjoyed. In recent years I too started to give some out to my friends as gifts just like Bruno did for me. I have even mailed some to friends who live elsewhere and have sent some as far away as Hong Kong! I still get excited every time a box arrives as I get to sort through whatever new titles Bruno has sent me. But that first box was still the best and I remember the day I got it like it was yesterday. The generosity of some people will always amaze me, and it also goes to show you the power of a simple thank you. It goes a lot farther than one might think - about 3,000+ comic books far! Thanks for reading and Keep it REAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment